Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Back to the Basics - Supplements I keep all the horses on.

I feed supplements, I am sure you would be surprised if I didn't. I don't think all horses NEED supplements but I think some are more important than others. Horses on good grass pasture that are maintaining weight probably don't need anything supplemented, but horses who are fed hay and/or in work probably need something. There are a few supplements I like to keep all my horses on. Later I will start doing "Pony Profiles" where I talk about each of my horses, what their specific needs are, and how I have addressed those needs. As for now this is what everyone gets.



First they all get hay. For the most part as much as they will eat. I do have Taylor (AQHA) and Pony on a weighed hay schedule because they are getting chubby. Remember an overweight animal can have more health problems than an underweight one.




Second they all get EquiPride. This is to balance out their vitamins and minerals and keep their digestive system running smoothly. I feed the granular version because I like to know they are getting the proper amount. This product also comes in a lick if you want to leave it out for a group of horses. This product is safe for insulin resistant and cushings horses because it is low sugar. For more information on Equipride stop on by.


I also add extra flaxseed to everyone's diet. Flaxseed best mimics the omega fatty acids found in fresh grass. Because pasture is so poor in this part of Colorado I feel this is a great way to keep coats shiny all year round and provide them with necessary nutrition. Because there is flaxseed in the Equipride I only give 1/2 cup of flaxseed additional. If you are only feeding flaxseed the recommended feeding is 1 cup per day for an average horse. Make sure your flaxseed is stabalized for freshness and balanced for calcium/phosphorus.



Every horse also gets a joint supplement. I feed Corta-flx because the cost is low per day and they are the only joint supplement on the market with a double blind, university study that shows their product works. I feed the liquid in the warm months and pellets in the cold and that works out perfect.



I put all these supplements on Alfalfa pellets. Horses, unless they are in high levels of work, generally do not need grain. The pellets allow them to think they are getting a treat but really it is more forage. When I am riding hard I do feed a 50/50 mixture of while oats and alfalfa pellets and that satisfies my horse's needs.

If you want your horse to be profiled in a "Pony Profile" than email me woofandwhinney@yahoo.com with what supplements your horse is on and why. Also a brief write up about the horse and you and if you can include pictures that is great. If I use your profile you will get a gift certificate for $10 off at Vetlink of Parker.

No comments:

Post a Comment