Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Update on London

If you don't remember, London is my Trekehner mare who was diagnosed with a pastern fracture back in April. Dr Dunbar was out yesterday to do a two month recheck. We needed to trot her to check her lameness grade. I was dreading this part as she has not been out of the stall in two months. Anyone with horses knows this can be a receipe for disaster. Lucklily London was very good, she trotted well although she is still a grade 2/5 lameness in the leg. The prognosis is still good and now London can go out for handwalking/grazing for 5 min twice a day. Her first walk was this morning and again I was worried about her reaction. I didn't need to be at all. London walked nicely for her five minutes, grazing when she wanted to and then going back to her stall. I never imagined she would be so good on an extended stall confinment. So I would like to share a few tips for making the stall bound horse a little more comfortable.

1. I started London on Quiessence the day the veterinarian found the fracture. I really feel this has helped keep her calm.

2. Toys. Find the one your horse likes and keep it going. London likes the stall pacifier, which we can special order through Vetlink. It is a roller that mounts in the corner of the stall and the horse can spin it. London spins it so hard she knocks it out of her holder daily.

3. Lots of attention. I find London is a lot calmer when she has her daily grooming session. She gets to spend time with me and it also allows me to check her out for any scrapes or swelling she may be getting from being in the stall.

4. Free choice hay. I had to watch this one with London becuase the Veterianarian wanted her to lose some weight to help the fracture heal. London herself backed off her consumption so I still make she she has food in front of her all the time.

5. A Buddy if possible. The first few days of stall rest was hard as I tried to work out London's frustration from going from my pasture to the stall. Finally I brought my pony in. London usually ignored the pony but this time she nickered at him and soon settled right in. It has worked wonders. As long as Pony is around London is calm.

I hope you never have to have a horse on extended stall rest as physically and mentally it is draining on the horse and you. But if you do find yourself in the same situation I hope my tips will help you make the time go quickly and easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment