Wednesday, May 18, 2011

They shoot horses with broken legs right?

We all remember the old westerns when the horse with the broken leg is ceremoniously euthanised.  I admitt having a horse with a fracture is one of my worst fears. Last month though I found out my big Trekehener mare, London has a fractured pastern.  Interjecting here, I will do an introduction of all my animals but I wanted to start with this post as it is fresh in my head.

London was off, not quite lame but definatly not sound.  Everyone who saw her thought something was going on in her hind end but we all had no idea what.  In early February I has witnessed her fall in her pen and I admitt it nagged in the back of my mind that maybe she had hurt it then, but it was April now and I didn't think that small incident made a difference, she got up immediatly and was fine, or so I thought.  Dr Dunbar at Littleton Equine Medical Center came out to see London and told me to come into the clinic for x-rays.  So on April 20th I took her into the clinic, where after a lot of flexing and examination by Dr Story the x-rays told the truth, a hairline fracture on the right rear pastern.  A fracture, really she wasn't that lame but the evidence was right there in black and white.  Treatment would be a large bandage and up to 6 months of stall rest that is if the fracture remained stable.  I took London home to set her up for the long stall time.  I put in toys and hay and tried to bed it deeply for comfort and then I waited.

The first two weeks were awful.  London wouldn't eat or drink. Su-per Lyte electroyltes ($9.95 for 5lbs at Vetlink) helped with the drinking and she is getting them daily to keep her drinking.  She stall walked, she wood chewed she whinneyed for her friends. It was depressing for both of us.  Then she started to settle in.  I brought Pony, my pony in to keep her company and the pony she had never looked twice at was now her new best friend.  We starting daily deep grooming and she really enjoyed that.  After those two weeks London settled right in.  she keeps her stall clean, started eating and drinking well and has accepted her fate, at least for now.



Today May 18th was her first month check up.  She loaded well and we headed back to the clinic for x-rays and a re check.  She was perfect.  The x-rays showed a little improvement, not great, but ok.  More time in the stall for London.  I actually think she enjoyed her time at the clinic.  She smiled for the interns and hammed it up for their camera, totally her MO.  Then she didn't want to leave as it took three of us to get her home.  Once home though she checked on Pony and then settled right back into her home.  Hopefully her whole healing process is this good. 

Keep checking back for updates and we will start in with product updates and products of the day along with news and articles about the horse industry.  Happy riding this summer whether it be that first A show or a long trail ride!

Please let me out of here!

No comments:

Post a Comment